A "continuity log" is a text document that is designed to help me remember what I was doing previously. It has to:
- remind me what the overall scope was for the action I was doing
- help me reconstruct my train of thought that day
- remind me where to find assets
- provide instructions to recreate the conditions of that day
- provide "next steps" at the end of the session.
As it could be days, weeks, or months between sessions, the continuity log should be as concise as possible so reading back through several days will provide an accurate reconstruction of the overall project.
The continuity log is also typically a "stream of consciousness" AKA SOC log, which is the messier "typing as I do" log. At the end of a working session, I have to discipline myself to summarize the messy typing of the day (stream of consciousness) into something concise and usable (continuity).